When it comes to PTFE gaskets, many people are more familiar with the name is Teflon, is known as the “plastic king” of PTFE gasket material (PTFE) made of gasket, in the fastener field PTFE gasket is known as the “originator” gasket industry.
PTFE gasm is special, due to the super performance of PTFE this material, it is made of PTFE monomer polymerization polymer, heat resistance, cold resistance, in the temperature environment of -180℃-260℃ can be used for a long time, but also can resist acid and alkali corrosion resistance, but also can resist a variety of organic solvents, Almost never dissolves in any solvent. In addition to excellent high temperature resistance, PTFE material has very low friction coefficient and good lubrication.
- PTFE gaskets made of PTFE materials with many advantages also have many advantages.
- If applicable to various temperature conditions, in the temperature range of -180℃-250℃ can be used normally without affecting the performance;
- Even in the ultra-low temperature environment of -196℃, it can have good mechanical toughness and maintain 5% elongation;
- PTFE gasket has the best aging life of plastic gasket, the service cycle is very long;
- Low friction coefficient, good self-lubrication;
- The surface tension is also the lowest among all materials, will not adhere to any material;
- Good resilience, can be in high temperature, low temperature, high vacuum, impact vibration and other cyclic alternating and various harsh conditions, maintain superior sealing performance.
Where are PTFE gaskets commonly used?
The use of PTFE gasket and its characteristics are closely related to the connection of the sealing parts, such as pipe, valve, heat exchanger, pump flange joint sealing element; It is widely used in petroleum, chemical, pharmaceutical, electric power, iron and steel, machinery, metallurgy, shipbuilding, atomic energy, aerospace, instrumentation, computer and other industries. Especially in the chemical and pharmaceutical industry, its acid and alkali resistance, high temperature resistance, resistance to various organic solvents has played a great role.
What’s the differences between teflon and rubber?
Material properties: Polytetrafluoroethylene is a kind of material with excellent chemical resistance, high temperature stability, low friction coefficient, and rubber is a kind of elastic polymer material.
Durability: PTFE has a long service life, can withstand higher temperature and chemical action, and rubber in high temperature, chemicals or oxidizing agents will quickly aging.
Application: PTFE is usually used to make high temperature, high pressure, corrosion resistant sealing materials, such as gaskets, sealing rings, and rubber is widely used in automotive parts, pipelines, wires and cables and other fields.
Cost: The cost of teflon is relatively high, while rubber is more economical.
Special properties: PTFE has moisture-free, non-viscous and low friction coefficient and other special properties, and rubber has shock absorption, sound insulation and other special properties.
Read more about Teflon here https://kitchenoa.com/is-teflon-banned-and-whats-a-good-alternative/